Effective communication with parents and carers is very important to us here at St George’s Roman Catholic Primary School. This website contains all of the dates for the year, term dates, regular newsletters, Mass and Celebration dates for the whole year, the live twitter feed and much more!
We’ve collected links to the things we think you will find most useful under “Explore More” on this page. Under ‘Diary Dates’ on our website home page you will find our unique STICK ME ON THE FRIDGE diary dates for the whole year! Paper copies are available at the office too!
- Dates for your diary 2021 2022 ~ stick me on your fridge Super Calendar updated September 30
- School Facebook contains news and information and stories that we like to share with you.
- School Twitter contains quick info, interesting snippets of news and interesting links to relevant news.
Timings Of The School Day
- Our school day begins at 8:50am and ends at 3:00pm.
- Our reception class finishes at 2:55.
- We have a morning playtime from 10:45 – 11:00am.
- Lunchtime for KS1 begins at 12 noon, and for KS2 at 12:10am until 1:00pm.
- We have a Gospel assembly on Monday morning led by Mrs Statham, a Statement of the Week assembly on Tuesday mornings led by our teachers, silent prayer and singing on Wednesday and a class led celebration or a Mass, led by Canon Jerry Twomey from St. George’s RC Church, on Thursday morning. On Fridays we have child led liturgies. Please see our diary dates for details of Mass and class led celebrations.
- Our super Nursery for mini dragons, opens at 07:30 and finishes at 18:00.
- Dragons’ Den is our on-site extended school facility, with a breakfast club running from 7:30 until 8:50 and and after-school session from 3:00-6:00.
Other Useful Information
Our children are able to take part in a range of extra curricular clubs throughout the year including football, tag rugby, Gaelic football, dance, gymnastics, music, netball, multi-sports, chess, hip hop dance and cheer leading.
We also have brass, woodwind, piano, keyboard, guitar and violin tuition during school hours from Mr Wilton, Mrs Trueman and Miss Lenoir.
Our children regularly have the opportunity to take educational visits around the City and surrounding areas.
Being centrally located, we try to maximise these opportunities wherever possible to enrich the learning for our children. Recent visits have included the Castle Museum, York Library, the Minster, York Theatre Royal, York Food Festival at the Guildhall, the Fire Station, City Walls, Barley Hall, Jorvik Museum, City Art Gallery, Fishergate cemetery, The Shambles and the Yorkshire Museum.
Swimming lessons for KS2 classes are taken at Yearsley Swimming Pool and our children take part in many sporting competitions around York.
We are lucky enough to have a wildlife area, wild meadow and school allotment within our extensive grounds and field, which provide the children with many outdoor learning opportunities.
Children do not have to go out to play at lunchtime if they do not wish to. At lunchtime children can attend chess club, Pokemon club, indoor play or may be invited to ‘Chill Out’ which is a special group run by our trained emotional support assistant teachers.
There is a first aid station open each lunchtime for the children run by our fully trained teachers and support staff.
Homework is project based and each class is given assignments for the term. The children choose which assignment they would like to complete. We also expect children to read EVERY night ~ either their home reader or a well loved book from home.
Children need to know ALL of their times tables by the end of year 4. All children have a log in and personal avatar for Times Tables Rock Stars.
Attendance and punctuality are very important. The school gate opens at 8:40 and school starts at 8:50.
Morning registers are closed at a certain time and unfortunately children who arrive late are marked as absent for the whole morning. Please make sure your child arrives to school ON TIME.
Arithmetic lessons start at 8:50 every morning therefore your child needs to be at school on time.
Our school target is 96% attendance. This figures allows some flexibility and leeway for normal childhood illnesses. Please phone us straight away if your child is absent due to illness. Our attendance manager Mr Myers will phone you by 9:30 if your child is not in school. We also operate an ‘alarm’ system for those families who have issues with punctuality. In agreement with you, Mr Myers will phone you at 7:50 to make sure you get your child to school on time.
Lastly, if there are ANY skills that you think you could share with school please do let us know!! We always need skilled reading volunteers, gardeners, artists and handy people! Thank you!