St George’s RC Primary Academy welcomes our duties under the Equality Act 2010, and in particular our duties in regard to the Public Sector Equality Duty – to eliminate discrimination, advance equality of opportunity and to foster good relations. We are also fully committed to meeting our responsibilities in regards to the Prevent Strategy, Promoting British Values, and other similar equality initiatives and work to support the educational needs of all our students.
The Governing Body identified the following key objectives for our school.
- Parental engagement for vulnerable families
- To improve provision for pupils for whom English is an additional language, particularly new arrivals who are NEW to English
- Updating the school’s accessibility plan so that the school grounds and building are as accessible as possible
Our current priorities for improving accessibility are as follows:
- Improving Education & related activities
- The school will continue to seek and follow the advice of LEA services, such as specialist teacher advisers and SEN inspectors/advisers, and of appropriate health professionals from the local NHS Trusts.
- Improving the Physical environment
- The school will take account of the needs of pupils and visitors with physical difficulties and sensory impairments when planning and undertaking future improvements and refurbishments of the site and premises, such as improved access, lighting, acoustic treatment and colour schemes, and more accessible facilities and fittings.
- Improving the Provision of information
- The school will make itself aware of local services, including those provided through the LEA, for providing information in alternative formats when required or requested.
Our current Accessibility Plan is integrated into our SEND Policy. We are in the process of auditing accessibility as we develop a new plan to be ratified by the governing body later this term.